A whisper in our heart has led to an adventure

A journal documenting our adoption journey to Africa and other various Donaldson delights.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Journey to Abel and Feven Faith Trip #1 Day 1

January 19th, 2011
   School was cancelled today due to black ice.  It was a blessing as the morning was proving to be VERY tough on the kids and me with saying, "goodbye".  Drake was begging to allow him to stay home from school, but I couldn't let him because if he stayed home, he wouldn't be allowed to play in his basketball game that night.  So, when we discovered that school was cancelled (yes, I failed to turn on the t.v., thinking it looked fine outside) it felt like a gift from God.  "Almost Ready Angie" was far from ready and it was a gift to have extra time to pack, and I was glad the kids were around.
  Lyndsay came over and served me greatly by updating my i-pod with music and setting up Skype for us.  Thank you Lynds!!!
   At 4:30p.m. we were ready to leave.  Saying goodbye was very hard!  We have never gone away this far or for this long before.  The MANY prayers of our friends and family were and are an enormous comfort!
   On the way out of town we stopped by the Mortensens house to pick up a camera bag and money they have for Birtukan, an Ethiopian gal who had been a World Vision sponsor child...that is she survived because someone was willing to sponsor her. ( We have a World Vision and a Compassion International sponsor child and it is so cool to be able to meet a women who was an actual sponsor child and hear her story.  There are many legit sponsor programs out there and for about $30.00/month you can change/save the life of a child who otherwise would hardly stand a chance.  Most offer the ability to maintain correspondence through letter exchange).  She and her husband now serve the Lord by helping orphans to be placed in family like homes within Addis.  We have the privilege of meeting her on Friday.
   I need to do a better job of packing on trip #2.  I have too much in my carry - on.

1 comment:

Jon y Amy said...

So glad it went well. I loved the pictures of you and the kiddos. I can't wait to meet them!!!
Love,
amy